Thursday, June 16, 2011

Going Gluten Free

Ok, so I admit that I have become one of those very annoying people who start a blog thinking she has so much to say and then realizes VERY quickly that her life isn't as interesting as she once thought it was and doesn't have anything to update on a regular basis. But, I promise to change that and I am also starting to make some serious changes in my diet. I have decided to go gluten free. For those of you who know me well, you will probably sympathize because you know how much I love bread. I don't just like bread--I adore it. I dream of sandwiches made with fresh bread. I try to think of anyway possible to incorporate bread into a meal. Some serious health issues have caused me to examine alternative possibilities of treating myself so I am turning to a gluten free lifestyle and I am finding that if there was ever a time in history that one could make the change--it's now. We have way more options that I currently thought and while giving up bread and pasta may be hard (Yes, I know there are gluten free varieties-but I don't really want to go there) letting go of any part of my intestines would be way harder (at least, I think so, right?). In my research I have come across some very interesting information about some local hangouts that serve gluten free foods and also have researched some great recipes. I made a flourless chocolate cake (Thank God chocolate is not something I will need to avoid) 2 days ago and it was really good. My husband didn't think it tasted that great and a friend who was here for dinner and has no problem sharing his personal opinion on my cooking, said it tasted spongy. Ehhh, I don't necessarily agree. Today's blog is about making my announcement and also to say that if you have suggestions-please feel free to send to me. I will be updating my blog with posts of places I have found to be gluten friendly and also recipes and near disasters I have experienced myself. :)

So, here are the things I have discovered recently:
Bob's red mill products have a line of gluten free baking items. Yay!
Olive Garden has a gluten free menu available on request. Double Yay!!
Corrinado's pizza in State College has a gluten free pizza made with rice flour. Wow! Pizza!

Be on the lookout for more great finds from me! :)

3 comments:

  1. Stacey, You have to check out Clean Eating Chelsey's blog. http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/

    She is gluten free and always posts some great recipes, and products that are gluten free.

    I too started a blog at the beginning of the year and have been struggling with topics to write about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I'm basically gluten free although I slip up far too much. I like Amy's frozen pizza and her mac and cheese in the organic section in the grocery store. Stacy Saar has a great flourless chocolate cake recipe that she always made on my birthday when I was still in Outreach. I have to get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Marie--I have a flourless chocolate cake recipe that I made in the beginning of my adventure and it was really good. I will try to remember sharing the recipe! ;) Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete