Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mercaptopurine has changed my plans!

Wow! That is a big word, isn't it? My fellow Crohnies know its a fancy name for 6mp....a new drug that my doctor prescribed the week I was to begin my gluten free lifestyle. I am holding off on going totally gluten free while I see if the new med helps at all. I certainly don't want to start feeling better and think its from drugs if its simply from dietary changes. This drug is dangerous--aren't all of my meds? And, I don't want to say that I hope it doesn't work so I don't have to stay on it, because if it doesn't work I only have one option left before surgery. Scary thought.  However, the gluten free post had many of you really excited so I thought I would share some of my experiences for those of you you are not familiar with GF or who are contemplating making the same lifestyle choice. (For those who have gone GF already, this won't be anything new for you). So, this is what I have found is very common in GF goods--the texture is similar to cornbread. It is somewhat "grainy" and can definitely be tolerated if you are not a "texture" type of person. I have tried many things and here is what I like and don't like: Van's GF mini waffles (I am an avid mini waffle eater--my usual brand is Eggo). I found with the 15 pills I take every morning (which is my worst doseage of the day), that having something bland and "dry" in my stomach helps the nausea. I eat these without syrup. So, all of that being said, I think mini waffles will not be in my future any longer once I go GF. At least, not with the Van's brand. Or maybe if I start using syrup...anyway, obviously, that was an item I do not like. Not only does it have the usual texture of GF products, but it had a slight aftertaste that is very hard to describe. I DO like-Bob's red mill products. He has a whole line (available in the natural section of your grocery store or online if you can't find it) including all purpose flour and other baking goods that are GF. My family loves the cornbread mix and the pancake mix was pretty good, as well. Those are my findings thus far and I promise they will be more frequent as I make the full transition in a few weeks. Until then, keep me in mind if you discover some fabulous GF products that you want to share! :)

1 comment:

  1. My prayers are with you Stacey. I hope you find a treatment that helps. If you need any GF advice let me know. I'm building a good recipe collection.

    ReplyDelete